Back in the saddle again!

05.03.08

I’m Back! I’m back in the saddle again.

I may be slightly grown-up and a touch jaded, but it feels good to be me, unstoppable drives and all. Time to catch up on some comics.

I've always been a sucker for comic book-based movies. Iron Man was well-executed, and subsequently enjoyed not just by me, but my wife Yael as well. It was better than any of the recent Spider-Man, Hulk or X-Men movies (not to mention vastly superior to recent box office stinkers Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc.). Iron Man supplemented the big explosions and action with impressive character development; we witnessed Robert Downey, Jr. womanizing, drowning in alcoholism and facing certain death. A real hoot, all around.

Leaving the theater, I begged Yael (who, in my opinion, looks like she was drawn by one of my favorite artists, John Byrne) for a few minutes in Forbidden Planet, the comic shop across the street from the theater. Hey, she had to make a phone call anyway.

Yael

I knew that once Yael was off the phone that she'd be coming after me, so I had to hurry. Clutching a handful of current Avengers issues, I waved to Yael as she waded through the fanboys into the store.

“Look at you!” my wife said. “You’re shaking! This stuff is like CRACK for you!”

Yael and Hal

No comments: